Former No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin has called time on his short yet drama-filled AFL career.
After falling victim to multiple concussions in his time at St Kilda and Sydney, the 27-year-old has finally ended his rollercoaster AFL ride after specialists told him to stop participating in contact sports.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: AFL stars Paddy McCartin and Nic Naitanui call time on their careers.
Analysis, local footy and the biggest moments, Seven and 7plus are the home of footy shows for every fan. Stream them all for free on 7plus >>
It has been reported by AFL media that McCartin – the No.1 draft pick in 2014 – told his teammates of the sad news on Monday.
After copping eight serious head knocks at St Kilda, McCartin was delisted by that club at the end of 2019.
But he resurrected his career at Sydney, who turned the forward into a defender for a fairytale 2022 season.
Paddy McCartin’s career is over after repeated head knocks during his time as an AFL player. Credit: Getty Images
McCartin formed a partnership with his younger brother, Tom, in the Swans’ backline, and the the pair helped power the team to a surprise grand final appearance last year.
But in Round 4 this season during the clash with Port Adelaide, McCartin sustained his latest concussion and 10th overall.
AFL rocked by distressing injury to luckless Swan
He was on his knees and launched forward to reach the ball but, while doing so, bumped his head on the SCG turf in a seemingly innocuous incident.
In worrying scenes, he then limped from the field and has not been seen playing the game since.
At the end of May, Sydney said McCartin would not play again this year.
Now, as expected, that call has become a permanent one after 63 games – 28 for Sydney – at AFL level.
Sydney said that McCartin made the decision “after an independent AFL medical concussion panel recommended that he cease participation in contact sport”.
“I am obviously disappointed that I’m no longer able to continue to do what I love,” McCartin said.
McCartin cut a distressed figure after suffering his 10th concussion during the clash with Port Adelaide. Credit: Seven
“But I have to be guided by the specialists and I know that this is the right decision for me.
“I want to thank the Sydney Swans for the faith shown in me and the opportunity to pursue my dream of playing AFL football. It has been a privilege to play for this great club and I will remember this time fondly.“I want to especially thank Lucy (his partner, Lucy Brownless), my family, teammates, coaches and medical staff for their wonderful support through this challenging period – I’m very grateful.”
Sydney’s football manger Charlie Gardiner said McCartin should be admire for his “resilience”.
“Paddy has worked closely with our medical team and external specialists since he suffered his concussion in Round 4 against Port Adelaide,” Gardiner said.
“While he continues to work on his recovery, Paddy’s decision is based on the recommendation of independent specialists that it is not in his best interests to continue to play.
“Paddy’s story is a powerful one. He has shown remarkable drive and resilience to overcome considerable setbacks to play at the highest level and fulfil his potential.”
Hawthorn bull’s perfect response to cheeky question
Baby joy for AFL premiership hero and reality TV wife
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.